It’s officially engagement season, and you know what that means — it’s soon to be wedding season, too! While we operate like the wedding season is always in full swing over here (there are always weddings to attend and to cater), this is the time of year that we start to pay special attention to trends in wedding catering for our clients.
Why, you ask?
Well, it’s simple: people are planning 2024 weddings now, and every bride and groom wants a culinary experience that they know their guests will love. So, if you’re planning a 2024 or 2025 wedding (or you just love weddings and events in general), you’re in the right place!
What’s trending in wedding catering?
While more traditional wedding menus will always have their place, trending wedding catering is veering into a more experiential, eclectic space. At Vestals Catering, we’ve been seeing a push for everything from raw bars and fusion taco stations to late-night snacks and signature dishes. However, more than anything, we’ve seen a big shift to focusing on local ingredients, seasonal produce, and interactive dining experiences.
This means that these days, people aren’t usually looking for your typical chicken breast and roasted veggies dish. While simple and cost-effective dishes will always be great for those planning weddings, people are also looking to strike a balance with menus that feel exciting, fresh, and inspired.
How we focus on infusing trends in our wedding catering
As a Texas caterer, we’ve long been using trends in catering to create experiences for weddings that fuse together Texan flavors, seasonal menus, and innovative types of serving. With a focus on sourcing locally wherever we can, we spend time helping our clients curate menus that excite every guest.
Here are some ideas for doing the same with your wedding menu:
Infuse Texan flavor into your wedding catering
Some people may think of Texan flavor as a simple brisket or BBQ, but we think of it as so much more than that. To us, Texan flavor is a beautiful combination of everything from mesquite-smoked meats and southwestern ingredients to bold Tex-Mex and spicy, fresh produce. Whether it’s focusing on wild game like venison, serving pecan-forward desserts (and smoked meats), or playing around with Gulf seafood, there are endless ways to infuse Texas flavor into your menu.
At Vestals Catering, we have many signature Texas flavors that we love cooking at weddings — and our clients have a special love for dishes like our signature applewood bacon-wrapped apricots, roasted chicken flautas with salsa crema, and smokehouse BBQ buffets. However, we can work with you to bring your idea of Texas flavors into your menu… whatever that may be!
Have interactive food stations at your wedding
You may picture wedding dinners as sit-down affairs, but they can be more interactive (and fun!) than that, too. Wondering how? Consider trying out taco bars, raw bars, charcuterie stations, mashed potato bars, stir fry stations, or even a pasta station. Interactive food stations like this let your guests be involved in the experience, which creates a more fun, personalized meal that they’ll remember long after your wedding.
Plus, you don’t need to make your entire dining experience interactive (unless you want!). Instead, consider adding an interactive element to one specific area of your catering: for instance, cocktails, appetizers, main courses, or desserts.
Need some inspiration? Here are some more creative ideas for interactive food stations at your wedding:
- Coffee, margarita, or espresso martini bar
- Wine & cheese pairing station
- A made-to-order pizza station
- A chef-carved prime rib station
- Build your own bruschetta/salad bar
- Sushi roll station
- Oyster bar
- Midnight snack to-go station (some ideas: breakfast tacos, ice cream sundaes, honey butter chicken biscuits, or cookies and milk)
Psst… want to see some in action? Here are a few interactive food stations we’ve done recently with our Vestals wedding clients:
Create seasonal wedding menus
At Vestals Catering, we focus on seasonal (and local) ingredients whenever possible. The way we see it, properly sourced and timed ingredients taste better, make a bigger flavor impact, and create a more sustainable experience for everyone involved. We build our menus around the seasons and find a ton of produce inspiration through The Texas Farmers Market.
Wondering what’s seasonal around the time of your wedding? Here are some of our favorite seasonal Texas wedding menu items:
Seasonal Texas produce for winter weddings:
- Salads with arugula, chard, or spinach bases (with pairings like cauliflower, cabbage, brussels sprouts, mushrooms, carrots, and radishes)
- Herb-forward flavors like basil, cilantro, dill, fennel, garlic, oregano, mint, and parsley
- Hearty sides like beets, squash, and sweet potatoes
Seasonal Texas produce for spring weddings:
- Spring salads featuring strawberries, tomatoes, and cucumber
- Herbs like cilantro, dill, garlic, oregano, parsley, and rosemary
- Edible flowers for cocktails and desserts
- Fresh sides that incorporate beans, fennel, or tomatillos
Seasonal Texas produce for summer weddings:
- Desserts that feature juicy peaches, strawberries, and blackberries
- Fresh pepper flavors, from sweet and bell to jalapeno and banana
- Herb-forward flavors like thyme, rosemary, and parsley
- Vegetable sides that include okra, eggplant, summer squash, and tomatoes
Seasonal Texas produce for fall weddings:
- Fall flavors like sweet potato, persimmon, pumpkin, squash, and onion
- Pecan-forward desserts and sweet flavors like pear
- Herb flavors rich in basil, lemongrass, thyme, tarragon, and sage
- Green dishes that include things like bok choy, beets, mustard greens, or turnips
Are you ready to plan your Texas wedding with a caterer who knows how to balance experience, trends, and seasonal flavors?
At Vestals Catering, we specialize in delivering an unmatched experience to every wedding and event, whether it’s through our culinary experience or dedication to hospitality. We want your wedding to be a meaningful, memorable experience, and we’re here to create an event your guests will never forget.
Whether you’re planning a Dallas wedding, a Fort Worth Wedding, an Austin wedding, or somewhere in between, we’re here to make your Texas wedding catering choice the easiest, most delicious, most trustworthy one yet. Alongside your Vestals specialist, you’ll get to build a carefully crafted menu that speaks to every one of your wildest culinary dreams — whether it’s through a seasonal menu or with an interactive station.
We’re booking weddings for 2024 and 2025 now, so get in touch with us here! We can’t wait to meet you.